Bare Bones Labor Day Festival Schedule
From rides to entertainment to face painting, sports competitions, the parade and more, get information on the Greenbelt Labor Day Festival.
Labor Day Festival Bare Bones Directory
We've also attached the detailed schedule for your convenience. Refer to it for more information on the events that interest you. If you plan to enter a competition, reference it for guidelines and contacts.
Stay tuned for information on shuttle bus services during the festival.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 2
- 9 a.m. - 10 p.m., GREENBELT MUSEUM EXHIBITION: Community Center, Rm. 110. Green From the Start: A History of Gardening in Greenbelt.
- 10 a.m. - Noon, ART SHOW ENTRIES ACCEPTED: Community Center.
- 5 p.m. - 7 p.m., ART SHOW ENTRIES ACCEPTED: Community Center.
- 5 p.m. - 7 p.m., PHOTO SHOW ENTRIES ACCEPTED: Community Center.
- 5 p.m. - 7 p.m., TABLE TENNIS TOURNAMENT: Youth Center. Open to ages 16 years & older. Registration at 4:30-5pm.
- 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m., STILT WALKER GREG MAY: Festival grounds.
- 6 p.m. - 10 p.m., CARNIVAL MIDWAY OPENS: Rides and games, food and information booths. No charge for entertainment, shows or events unless noted.
- 6:30 p.m. - 7:15 p.m., OPENING CEREMONIES: Stage. PRESENTATION OF OUTSTANDING CITIZEN AWARD. Sign language interpreter on stage.
- 7:15 p.m., RECEPTION FOR 2011 OUTSTANDING CITIZEN: Council Meeting Room, Municipal Building. Public invited.
- 7:30 p.m. - 8:45 p.m., MISS GREENBELT PAGEANT—OPENING NIGHT: Stage. Miss Greenbelt, Junior and Little Miss contest.
- 9 p.m. - 11 p.m., GREENBELT IDOLS: Stage. Finals.
SATURDAY, Sept. 3
- 9 a.m. - 10 p.m., SLOW PITCH TOURNAMENT: Greenbelt Softball Fields. Men's top area teams; first class competition. Pre-registration required. Also on Sunday (and Monday if needed.)
- 9 a.m. - 10 p.m., GREENBELT MUSEUM EXHIBITION: Community Center, Rm. 110.
- 9 a.m. - 11 a.m., CRAFTY KIDS CORNER: Greenbelt Community Center front lawn (Rain location – Community Center Gym). Arts, crafts and face painting.
- 9 a.m. - 11 a.m., RICHARD “REDS” ROLAND MEMORIAL HORSE SHOES TOURNAMENT: Horseshoe Pits (adjacent to Aquatic Center). Registration at 9 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.; competition at 9:30 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., CHILDREN’S PET SHOW: Community Center lawn. Bring your pet to register at 9:30 a.m. Judging at 10 a.m. Awards at 10:30 a.m.
- 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m., INFORMATION DAY & COMMUNITY EXHIBITS: Roosevelt Center. Participating groups listed on page 6 of the detailed schedule that's posted with this article.
- 9:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m., CARNIVAL AND BOOTHS: Midway.
- 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., STRATEGY GAMES: Youth Center Game Room.
- 11 a.m. - 11:45 a.m., MAKING MOVES DANCE COLLECTIVE: Stage.
- Noon - 3 p.m., MARY SHAVER BAND: Stage.
- 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m., STILT WALKER GREG MAY: Festival grounds.
- 12:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m., BALLOON ARTIST BETTY MAY: Festival grounds.
- 1 p.m. – 6 p.m., ART SHOW AND PHOTO SHOW: Community Center. See displays by local artists of all ages.
- 2 p.m. – 5 p.m., ROLLER SKATING: Youth Center Gym. All ages. FREE. Bring your own roller blades/skates.
- 3 p.m., WALL OF FAME UNVEILING: Youth Center Game Room. Honors those who contributed to the Greenbelt Youth Center.
- 3:30 p.m. - 4:15 p.m., GREG MAY MAGICAL MAYHEM CIRCUS: Stage.
- 4:30 p.m. - 6 p.m., TALENT SHOW: Stage.
- 6:15 p.m. - 7 p.m. MISS GREENBELT PAGEANT: Stage. Princess Program.
- 7:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m. CPR BAND: Stage.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 4
- 9 a.m. - 10 p.m., SLOW PITCH TOURNAMENT: Greenbelt Softball Fields. Continuation of double elimination tournament.
- 9 a.m. - 7 p.m., GREENBELT MUSEUM EXHIBITION: Community Center, Rm. 110.
- Noon - 9:30 p.m., CARNIVAL AND BOOTHS: Midway.
- Noon - 2 p.m., THE WATSON FIELDER FORMAT FEATURING COLEY WILLIAMS JAZZ BAND: Stage. Cool jazz sounds.
- Noon - 7 p.m., CRAFT FAIR: Roosevelt Center. Local artists display handmade crafts.
- 1 p.m. - 3 p.m., ART CARTS: Art on the midway! FREE hands-on projects for kids of all ages. (Rain location: Community Center Art Gallery.)
- 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. ARTIST STUDIO OPEN HOUSE: Community Center.
- 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. GREENBELT MUSEUM HOUSE: Tour the historic house museum for FREE. 10-B Crescent Rd.
- 1 p.m. - 6 p.m. ART SHOW AND PHOTO SHOW: Community Center.
- 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. BEACH BUMZ BAND: Stage.
- 1:30 p.m. - 3 p.m. YOUTH TABLE TENNIS TOURNAMENT (SINGLES ONLY): Youth Center Gym. Open to ages 15-years and younger. Registration at 1:30 p.m.; tournament at 2 p.m. Trophies awarded.
- 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m., HOT SHOT BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT: Youth Center Gym. Age groups 12 & under/13-15/16 & up. Registration at 2:30 p.m.; tournament at 3 p.m. Players will shoot the basketball from different locations. Trophies awarded.
- 3:30 p.m. - 5 p.m., TWO BALL TOURNAMENT (TEAMS OF TWO): Youth Center Gym. Age groups 13-15/16 and up. Registration at 3:30 p.m.; tournament at 4 p.m. Trophies awarded.
- 4 p.m. - 7 p.m., MISS GREENBELT PAGEANT: Stage. Formal wear and public speaking competition. Crowning of Little Miss, Junior Miss, and Miss Greenbelt.
- 5 p.m. - 5:30 p.m., LARRY NOEL 15K RACE 3K FUN RUN: Required Entry Fee. Register online. Packet pick up and late registration at Greenbelt Youth Center 4 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. For 15K Race, starting line is on Northway at Woodland Way. For 3K Fun Run it's at Braden Field Tennis Courts.
- 7:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m., THE ERNIE FIELDS MOTOWN REVIEW: Stage.
MONDAY, Sept. 5
Please arrive at your desired location early on Monday or use shuttle services. Major roads in old Greenbelt will be closed from around 8:30 a.m. or 9 a.m. (depending on foot traffic) until the parade ends around noon.
- 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., GREENBELT MUSEUM EXHIBITION: Community Center, Rm. 110
- 9:30 a.m. - 10 a.m., LIONS CLUB BIKES AND TRIKES: Roosevelt Center. Decorate your bike or trike and ride it in the parade! Contestants meet at the Mother and Child statue.
- 10 a.m. - noon, ANNUAL GREENBELT LABOR DAY PARADE: Parade Route: Down Crescent Rd. from Greenhill to Centerway.
- 11 a.m. - 6 p.m., CARNIVAL AND BOOTHS
- Noon - 2 p.m., LUNCHEON ON THE LAWN: Greenbelt Community Church, Corner of Hillside Rd. and Crescent Rd. After parade. Purchase a one-price meal: Barbecue sandwich or hot dog, baked beans, slaw, chips, drink and dessert.
- Noon - 1 p.m. AWARD PRESENTATIONS: Stage. Presentation of awards for the Art Show, Photo Show, Best Decorated Booth, Best Entry in each parade category and Best in Parade.
- 1 p.m. - 4 p.m., ART SHOW AND PHOTO SHOW: Community Center.
- 1 p.m. - 3 p.m., YOUTH SCAVENGER HUNT (TEAMS OF TWO): Youth Center. Ages 15 & under. Prizes to the winners.
- Noon - 3 p.m., GREENBELT MUSEUM HOUSE: Tour the historic house museum for FREE. 10-B Crescent Rd.
- 1 p.m. - 7 p.m., ANNUAL LABOR DAY SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL FINALS (if needed) Braden Field #2.
- 1 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., COLD HARD CASH. Stage. Tribute to Johnny Cash.
- 1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m., STILT WALKER GREGORY MAY 3:30pm Festival grounds.
- 3 p.m. - 6 p.m., JOHNNY SEATON AS “ELVIS”: Stage