County Executive Rushern Baker has repeated calls for area residents to help with relief efforts for victims of last week's powerful microburst in the Bladensburg and Cheverly areas.
“We greatly appreciate those who have already made donations since last weekend," said Baker in a statement issued earlier today, "and hope the donations will continue to assist our displaced residents recovering from this devastating storm.”
About 600 residents have been displaced by storm damage to their homes and have not been able to retrieve many of their personal effects.
County officials have set up a special fund to get food, housing assistance and clothing to those displaced. Contributions to the fund can be sent by check or money order to the Prince George's County Department of Social Services with a note in the memo section reading "Bladensburg Microburst Lay Fund."
County officials are asking the public for clothing, preferably summertime wear and other "near new" clothing items, and non-perishable food donations. Food and clothing may be dropped off at 425 Brightseat Road in Landover from June 25 to 29 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The county cannot yet accept furniture donations, but arrangements can be made on an individual basis by calling the county Department of Social Services at 301-909-7000.
The Red Cross and the county Department of Social Services continue to operate an emergency shelter at Bladensburg High School. As of Monday, 20 displaced people had sought shelter there. As of today, the Red Cross, working with more than 100 staff and volunteers, has served more than 1,300 meals and more than 2,200 snacks to storm victims.
County officials encouraged residents to to donate to the Red Cross' Disaster Relief Fund.
"In order for the American Red Cross to respond to incidents such as this microburst, as well as other emergencies that occur daily throughout the National Capital Region, they need support and donations," Baker said.