What would you do for a Friday right now, Hyattsville? Here are today’s five things you need to know:
1. Last weekend, Lt. Governor Anthony G. Brown, a colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves, was awarded the Legion of Merit for his leadership of the 153rd Legal Support Organization. Brigadier General Gil Beck, Commanding General of the United States Army Reserve Legal Command, presented the award during a Change of Command Ceremony where Lt. Governor Brown handed over command of the reserves from Norristown, PA., after completing his three-year command tenure.
2. St. Francis International School will hold its first commencement since it was created in 2010. Graduation will be at 6 p.m. on June 2 and the St. Camillus church.
3. Did you know that Hyattsville homeowners may apply for the Homeowner’s Property Tax Credit each year? The deadline for application is Sept. 1.
4. Basketball for pre-schoolers starts today at the Prince George’s Plaza Community Center. The class, for ages four to six, serves to introduce kids to the ropes of hoops. There are still 14 open spots.
5. Here’s a piece of trivia from the National Park Service to flex your brain this morning: What tree looks like it came from a Dr. Seuss book? Find the answer here.