Then & Now
A snapshot of Hyattsville's past and what it has become. Patch will run this feature each week.
Hyattsville Middle School, at Ogelthorpe Street with 42nd Ave. on the left, was once the site of Hyattsville High School.
Hyattsville High School first opened in the Masonic Lodge in 1914 with 110 students until this designated schoolhouse was completed the following year at Arundel (now Ogelthorpe Street) and Wine (now 42nd) Avenues.
Washington architects Upman and Adams and Bethesda contractor T. Calvin Owings constructed the school at a cost of $17,385. The building held four classrooms on each of its three floors, but did not include electric lights until 1917.
The building, with additions from 1925, was made the junior high in 1951 and razed for the current middle school in the 1970s.