Invite a friend
"HEALTHY BODY. HEALTHY MIND. HEALTHY SPIRIT
“Healthy Body. Healthy Mind. Healthy Spirit.” is the 2012 annual one-day, communitywide multicultural health fair sponsored by the First United Methodist Church of Hyattsville (FUMC) and participating agencies. Scheduled for Saturday, September 15, 2012, the health fair’s free activities will include cholesterol, blood glucose, blood pressure, and cancer screenings; food and fitness demonstrations; and informational booths that together address physical, mental, and social wholeness.
This fair is designed to help everyone, especially Hyattsville’s most vulnerable families, women, men, and children, to take charge of their health. Nearly 11percent of Hyattsville residents have incomes below the poverty level, compared to 9 percent statewide. Unemployment peaked at 7.7 percent in 2010 and, though declining, exceeded the state level in March 2012. Moreover, alarmingly high rates of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and obesity plague Prince George’s County compared to the other Maryland counties.
More About First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church offers a wide variety of personal and community enrichment opportunities. Ministries include the Shalom School, Covenant Disciple Groups, child daycare, choirs, Meals on Wheels and various outreach programs.
The church also offers an HIV/AIDS ministry where testing is available on the third Saturday of the month from 1-5 p.m.
Other events here
- First United Methodist Church Early Morning Service Weekly on Sundays, 8:30 am
- First United Methodist Church Sunday School Weekly on Sundays, 10:00 am
- First United Methodist Church Second Worship Service Weekly on Sundays, 11:00 am
- United Gospel Choir Practice Weekly on Tuesdays, 8:00 pm
- Chancel Choir Practice Weekly on Thursdays, 7:00 pm
- Justice For Our Neighbors Meetings Weekly on Saturdays, 1:00 pm
- First United Methodist Church Free HIV Testing Program December 15, 2012 / January 19, 2013 / February 16, 2013 / March 16, 2013 / April 20, 2013 / May 18, 2013 / June 15, 2013 / July 20, 2013 / August 17, 2013 / September 21, 2013 / October 19, 2013 / November 16, 2013 / December 21, 2013, 1:00 pm–3:00 pm