Following a deadly fire in Glenarden which claimed the life of one man and two children Thursday morning and injured three others, county Fire Chief Marc Bashoor reminded residents about the importance of smoke alarms after fire investigators discovered no smoke alarms were present in the burned out home.
"I could not be prouder of our men and women, volunteer and career, who work hard every day and who, once again, this morning showed that valiant courage that lies within us all," Bashoor said in a note, which was forwarded to Patch by the county's branch of the NAACP.
"It is tragic to report that no smoke alarms have been found at the scene of the fatal fire on Leslie Avenue. We MUST constantly remind our communities that smoke alarms provide that first line of defense for early notification and survival."
Bashoor asked each resident to go home and check their smoke alarms, replace the batteries if necessary or install a alarm if they don't have one. He also asked residents to check their neighbors' homes and remind family members as well.
The lack of smoke detectors also played a role in including a six-year-old.
After that blaze, investigators did not find any smoke detectors in the home. This prompted local fire and rescue crews to go door-to-door in the neighborhood giving out free smoke detectors and fire-safety information to area residents.
Any Prince George's County resident can obtain a free smoke alarm by calling 301-864-SAFE (7233).