In the wake of three separate robberies reported on Friday, Dec. 21 in Hyattsville, city police are cautioning residents to make keep alert when out and about.
in an alert sent to subscribers of the city's Nixle account, The Hyattsville City Police Department distributed safety tips for residents to heed. The alert did not disclose any details about the robberies. At the time of this writing, CrimeReports.com noted only a single robbery with a gun which occurred in the 2900 block of Belcrest Center Drive near the Prince George's Plaza Metro Center at 11:17 a.m. on Dec. 21.
Here are the safety tips sent out by city police:
It can happen to anyone, at anytime, at anyplace!
- Walk in well-lit areas. If possible, never walk alone.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you think you are being followed, go to a crowded area.
- Do not carry large amounts of money.
- Carry keys in your hand.
- If you observe suspicious persons or activities, call the Hyattsville Police at: 301-985-5060 to investigate.
In the event a robber confronts you:
- Do not take any action that could jeopardize your personal safety or the safety of others.
- Remain calm and do as you are told.
- Carefully observe the physical characteristics of the robber.
- Be a good witness. Note as much detail about the suspect(s) as possible. (Age, race, height, facial hair, speech, clothing, shoes, odor, etc.)
After the robbery:
- When it is safe, notify the Hyattsville Police by calling 301-985-5050.
- Law enforcement will ask for the following information: location of robbery, whether anyone is injured, the exact time the robber(s) left and their direction of travel, the kind of weapon used, description of the vehicle, the robber(s), their clothing, appearance or unique features, money or items taken, and other information to assist responding officers.
- Protect the scene of the crime. Do not touch anything! You might destroy evidence.
- Write down all suspect information immediately and do not discuss the robbery with anyone until questioned by the police.