As the new principal at , already has some goals she’d like to see rolled out this school year. Here are some of the ideas she mentioned to the school’s PTA at a meeting last week:
- A welcome center just inside the school’s entrance with a sign in book for visitors. Someone would be seated there greet visitors and direct them to their destination.
- Parents could help beautify the school’s campus—and perhaps start a club for this. Pupils also could receive community service hours for working on shaping up the school grounds.
- School lunchtime will be reduced to 30 minutes. Last year the lunches were 50 minutes long. This coming year pupils will be dismissed for lunch by floor.
- Washington is hoping to offer a hip-hop dance class and an alternative for boys because physical education only will be offered for one quarter of the school year.
- Washington would like to enlist parent volunteers to help with making phone calls.
Patch is following up with Washington about the current status of HMS's academics. We will let you know more information as it becomes available.