Carbon monoxide leak at Atlanta elementary school sends 47 to hospital.
According to a recent Reuters story, a carbon monoxide leak caused by a faulty furnace at Finch Elementary School in Atlanta sent 43 students and six teachers to the hospital. The school did not have carbon monoxide detectors installed, and vapor levels of the deadly gas were “the highest we’ve ever seen,” said Atlanta Fire Department spokeswoman Marian McDaniel. As it turns out, no school in Georgia is required to install carbon monoxide detectors. Neither are schools in 47 other states. Information detailing state statutes on carbon monoxide detectors, noted on the website of the National Conference of State Legislators, says that only Maryland and Connecticut require installation of carbon monoxide detectors in schools. Maryland Code…
The legislative push follows two leaks of the harmful gas last year in a Baltimore school.
Tuesday, January 17, 2012
By Lizzy McLellan Capital News Service A Maryland lawmaker wants to require the use of carbon monoxide detectors in all public schools following two leaks of the harmful gas in a Baltimore school last February. Delegate Cheryl Glenn, D-Baltimore, reintroduced a bill last week that would mandate installation of the detectors, which are currently absent from many Maryland schools. Glenn first proposed the legislation in February in reaction to two carbon monoxide leaks which took place within one week at Dickey Hill Elementary/Middle School. Both leaks sent students to the hospital. "I was stunned to learn that schools aren't required ... to have carbon monoxide detectors," said Glenn. "All of the schools in Baltimore city are old. Our …